The Perfect Post-Workout Treat
So, you just had a killer workout session and now you’re craving something sweet and refreshing. Girl, we’ve got you covered. This creamy choco-mint smoothie is the ideal post-workout recovery treat. The recipe focuses on clean, protein-packed ingredients and less fat content. For post workout, more protein and less fat is the key to creating lean, pretty muscle.
Are You Getting Enough Protein?
We have to ask, are you getting enough clean protein? Studies show up to 46% of adults in the US, (especially individuals over 50,) do not eat the recommended amount of daily protein. If you’re falling short of the recommended amount, your body will feel the negative effects. You can lose muscle mass, experience soreness and even find it harder to burn off fat.
The amount of recommended protein varies depending on age and activity levels. Here’s an easy way to calculate how much protein you need in your daily diet.
- 30 – 40 years old: 1.0 grams of protein per pound of body weight
- 40 – 50 years old: 1.0 to 1.1 grams of protein per pound of body weight
- 60+ years old: 1.0 to 1.2 grams of protein per pound of body weight. Growth hormones decrease with age, so it’s important to compensate with additional protein.
Choco-Mint Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (1g of protein)
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao (1g of protein)
- 6 fresh mint leaves OR ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup fresh spinach (1g of protein)
- ½ cup frozen riced cauliflower (2g of protein)
- 2 scoops ProGlow Strong + Youthful Chocolate (17g of protein)
- Fresh parsley/cilantro/tumeric/ginger (optional)
- Place almond milk, mint leaves and fresh spinach in the blender first. Add in fresh parsley/cilantro or ginger if using. Blend until smooth.
- Next, add in the riced cauliflower, raw cacao and ProGlow Strong + Youthful to the blender. Blend on high for 30 seconds.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy.